Sunday 3 May 2015

Book of the month | April

Yes, it's that time of the month (no not that time) for me to share my favourite book for April! I realise I missed out March, but I was so busy that I just didn't really have the chance. But better late than never, right?

Anyway, let's get on with it. So for April the book I recommend reading is... (drumroll please)

Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce.


Now, I have read this book multiple times and I am absolutely in love with it. It is a book about werewolves, which I know is rather a cliche, overused and generally abused (especially in fanfiction) topic, but this book is different because it is extremely cleverly done. (Also the girl doesn't fall in love with the werewolf). Obviously I won't give anything away, but there are lots of clues and hints to the sort of climax of the book which I really picked up on when I read it the second, third and fourth (etc.) time, which made me want to squeal when I could see the link to the future event. In fact, the book has many of these 'squeal' moments: as in, a huge plot twist or a sudden realisation when everything clicks into place and makes perfect sense - I think that these are what really makes a book great, and if that is so then this book is flipping amazing. 

Another thing I love about Sisters Red is that even though there are only really three major characters: the two sisters, Scarlett and Rosie, and their friend Silas, there is never a dull moment and the intricate plot means that there doesn't need to be a huge amount of characters - instead the focus is on the individual development of these three people. The point of view switches between the two sisters every chapter, which I really like because it means you can see an event in one person's perspective that the other person is not a part of, giving you a broader look on the plot, and you can also see the same event from two different perspectives, which is always interesting. Scarlett and Rosie have a very strong relationship and I love how you can see how certain events make them react to one another in different ways in each of their perspectives, because really they are very different people. But I'm not going to go to deep into it because I don't want to spoil it if you do end up reading the book!

In addition, the author Jackson Pearce is awesome in my opinion, and has written loads of other young adult books which I have not yet read, but they are somewhere on my long list of books to read because they all look just as great as Sisters Red was!

Overall, the book is extremely cleverly done and I just love that Jackson Pearce was able to take a well-known and sometimes cliche topic and make it her own, and make it smart. Honestly this is one of my all-time favourite books and I actually want to read it again as I'm writing about it now!

Please do let me know if you have read or decide to read this book after reading this, and also feel free to suggest any other book you would recommend in the comments!

And that's all from me. Megan out. 

4 comments:

  1. This book sounds amazing perfect for one of my best friends she loves wolves and reading haha. I will probably be searching for this book in my local library and book store!

    - Ellie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cool! i hope you find i really do love it haha :)

      Delete
  2. This book sounds great! I myself know how much werewolves, vampires and the like are overused to the point of being annoying (*cough* Twilight *cough*).

    ReplyDelete