Tuesday 2 August 2016

The Power of Music

Music is something everyone comes across in some way in their lives. There are so many forms of music and, in my opinion, there is no genre superior to another. Each has its place in the world, and each holds so much power.

Sometimes I think we don't realise just how much power music has over us, and one example of this that first springs to my mind is in film. It has been my dream to one day score music for films since I was fourteen, and since then and even before I have always listened closely to the music in films I watch, and even written essays and orals on the precise way composers write music to influence the audience into feeling a certain emotion. Its crazy that music can have such a huge influence on us that it can make us laugh or cry or be absolutely terrified of something on a screen in front of us, and we barely even register it.

But film is definitely not the only way music is so powerful. There are songs I have listened to where the words have resonated with me so deeply that I can hardly believe they didn't come right out of me. Sometimes the words intertwined with the music conveys a message so ____ that I actually take it to heart and think about it as I go about my day to day life. Music is an integral part of me and has taught me things about the world that I honestly couldn't have learnt alone.

Even in a broader sense, music has the power to move us. You know that feeling when you go to a concert, whether it be a classical concert with an exquisite world famous violinist or a hugely popular band singing in a football stadium, and you get that post-concert rush. You leave feeling like the music has seeped inside you and filled every pore of your being, and you can't contain the smile on your face. This is the power music has. It is a force so strong that it can change the way you feel. You can listen to your favourite band and want to jump up and down for joy, you can listen to a requiem at a funeral and feel simultaneously sad and hopeful. Music has ultimate control over us, and I think that is why it is so magical.

Truly, music is a force to be reckoned with. It has the power to influence our emotions, to change our view of the world and to make us realise things about ourselves. And most importantly, it has the power to make us whole again.

1 comment: